To be prepared & enjoyed when you’re stuck in the grind of work, study, and life…
Maybe because I’m a restless kinda person, but often I find myself feeling a little “stuck” in the day-to-day monotony of work or study. It feels like I’m on a conveyer belt, going round and round the same corners and bends, but without really moving forwards. Sorta like groundhog day, I guess. I mean, routine is great – humans are supposed to thrive in it; but I have to say that any help I can get to release me from the grind is always welcomed.
So this week when I was feeling a bit “stuck in the grind” with the constant wave of study, revision, exams, study, revision, exams… (spot the pattern!) I decided it was time to get a bit colourful and creative.
Thus the birth of my rum & pawpaw (also called papaya in other parts of the world) jelly tumblers! The sugar from the jelly crystals would be a quick jolt pick-me-up; while the alcohol from the rum would be a nice relaxant and lubricant for my “stuckness” (is that a word? well it is now). And why not make it three different colours just to wake up your senses a bit?
What’s really exciting though is the teeny cubes of pawpaw in these jelly cups, because did you know pawpaw promotes digestive health & protects your sight as well? I figure when you’re feeling stuck in the grind, it’s helpful to eat a fruit that releases the cancer-causing toxins that try to keep stuck to your colon. And since foresight & vision for the future are often lost when you’re stuck in the monotonous hum of life, how awesome to eat a fruit that also protects your eyes?
So if you’re feeling a bit stuck in the grind, and wouldn’t mind a bit of relaxation and extra energy (not to mention a bit of release & a sense of vision) – then try out these jelly tumblers!
“If a translation is where the train stops, what’s a workstation?” (Anon.)
“The number one sign you have nothing to do at work: The 4th Division of Paperclips has overrun the Pushpin Infantry and General White-Out has called for a new skirmish.” (Fred Barling)
“Just when the caterpillar thought life was over, it became a butterfly.” (Anon.)
“Slave To The Grind” (Skid Row)
(makes approx 3-4 jelly cups)
- Jelly crystals (3x different flavours of 85g packets) (I used boysenberry, lime, and strawberry)
- Rum (2 shots)
- Pawpaw (also called Papaya) (1.5 cups, diced into small cubes)
- Glass tumblers (4x)
- Condensed milk (to squeeze on top) (optional)
- A little bit of patience 🙂
- In a bowl, put the contents of 1x packet (85g) of jelly crystals and add 1.5 cups of hot water. Stir with a spoon to dissolve the crystals. Leave to cool.
- (You usually put 2 cups of water for each 85g of jelly crystals but I’ve adapted the volumes slightly for each layer of jelly to get the right consistency with the rum/pawpaw).
- When the jelly water has cooled down, pour equal amounts of it into 4 tumblers, and put equal amounts of diced pawpaw cubes into the 4 tumblers as well. Put into the fridge for 30-45 minutes until set.
- While you’re waiting for the first layer to set, dissolve the 2nd packet of jelly crystals with 1.5 cups of hot water. Leave to cool.
- When the first layer has set, pour equal amounts of the 2nd layer jelly water into the same 4 tumblers. Then put them into the fridge for another 30-45 minutes until set.
- Again, while you’re waiting for the 2nd layer to set, dissolve the 3rd packet of jelly crystals – this time with just 1 cup of hot water. Leave to cool.
- When cool, add the rum and stir into the jelly water.
- When the 2nd layer of jelly has set, pour equal amounts of the rum jelly water into the tumblers. Put into the fridge for a final 30-45 minutes until set.
- When the final layer of jelly has set, squeeze some condensed milk on top of each tumbler and then dig in with a big spoon 🙂